Find Your Next Holiday
leave blank to search all
Op Chastise 80th anniversary tour
A unique tour to commemorate the 80th anniversary of Operation Chastise, better known as the Dams Raid.
If you grew up in awe of the bravery of the men of Bomber Command and 617 Squadron this is the tour for you as we make a pilgrimage ride to the site of the most famous bombing raid of WW2. Learn about the development of the bouncing bomb by Barnes Wallis, the formation of the special squadron and its characters, the training for this special mission and above all the night itself when 8 crews did not return and 40 per cent casulaties were suffered.
We will ride from RAF Scampton, where the specially armed Lancaster bombers took off on the evening of 16 May 1943, to the Mohnesee where we will pay our respects at the exact time that Guy Gibson's Avro Lancaster bomber made its approach for the first attack on the Mohne Dam. Starting with a visit to the former officers' mess of 617 Squadron we will then ride to Harwich to take the ferry to the Hook of Holland for our onward journey through Holland and Germany to the banks of the Mohnesee.
- Visit Woodhall Spa, the former Officers' Mess of 617 Squadron
- 3 days' ride to Harwich visiting the Imperial War Museum at RAF Duxford on the way with its Lancaster Bomber
- Overnight sailing to The Netherlands
- Visit Arnhem and Nijmegen on the way with historical talks about the events of Operation Market Garden
- Visit the Reichswald Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery and pay your respects at the graves of members of 617 Squadron who were killed on the Dams Raid
- Ride via the Dortmund Ems canal where many men of Bomber Command were killed in action throughout the war, including some who survived the Dams.
- Arrive at the Mohnesee in time for the 80th anniversary of the raid on the night of 16 / 17 May 1943
- Pay your respects on the walkway of the Mohne Dam at the time the raid began exactly 80 years before
- Return transport to UK
- Special commemorative cycling journey
- Hugely knowledgable professional battlefield guide accompanies this trip
Limited spaces are available and can be reserved for a £250 deposit for this one-off tour.
Your Next Adventure Awaits
What you need to know...
Mohne Dam, Germany
Battlefields by Bike
7 days cycling
Departure Dates & Prices
|Month||Dates||Tour Price||Single Supplement*||Bike Hire From||Enquire||Book|
|May 2023||9th to 17th May 2023||9/5/23 to 17/5/23||£1,995||£495||Check Availability||Book Now|
*A single supplement is only payable if you would like a guaranteed room to yourself. If you are happy to share with another traveller of the same gender, no supplement is payable.